Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

2014 Hike #8: Mt. Sutro

All this time I've lived in San Francisco, and all the local trails I've traversed, I am surprised I never once thought to hike Mt. Sutro.

It is a forest nestled in San Francisco's geographic center. The trees tower to at least 200 feet to shield you from the sun. And today was definitely a sunny day (in fact, this whole weekend has had great weather). There are a number of trails that go into the woods from various points around the mountain, and I chose to enter off Clarendon into the UCSF campus. From there, other trails splinter off into their own paths: The Fairy Gates, Historic, North Ridge, East Ridge. I started at the Fairy Gates and crossed over to the Historic trail. It led me to the Summit where there is a clearing to view Sutro Tower, The Pacific Ocean, Golden Gate Park, Marin County, etc. 

I read that the best time to hike Mt. Sutro is during foggy weather when you walk into the mist as though walking through the clouds. I may try that and create an update on this post. We'll see.



Look closely; It's the Golden Gate Bridge

Birds flying above



No comments:

Post a Comment