Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

2014 Hike #6: Fort Cronkhite

As I hiked the Lagoon Trail last week, I noticed the adjacent hillside with a different trail. The headlands have several trails that branch off in myriad directions. It's not possible to traverse every trail in a single day, so it was back to the Marin Headlands at Fort Cronkite. 

It was a serene walk along the coast with the waves crashing, birds chirping, ship horns blowing and the buoy bell tolling.


As I ascended the trail, I came across a split where I could continue on the current trail or on to a paved trail. I decided to stick with the rocky trail. The views were breathtaking. Waves crashing agains the rocks below. Cliffs with layers upon layers of sediment. The pine trees that curved over the trail providing a natural canopy.


Eventually, the trail grew thinner until is disappeared completely. Unfortunately, I was along side a steep hill. That meant continuing along the makeshift trail of previous hikers who carefully descended. I thought about going along the paved road once I returned to the split, but the weather went from a light rain to a near downpour. Perhaps next week when the weather is better; when I don't have to put Daisy in a sling and carry her along the trail (she's still in her walking cast). Until then, enjoy the beauty of the Bay Area...even during rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment