Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2014

MOAH

After my 49ers devastating loss to the Seahawks, I stated, "I REFUSE to watch the Super Bowl." Most everyone doubted that a football fan as myself would forgo watching the biggest game in sports. Have they forgotten how much of a loyal 49er Faithful I am? I kept my word and avoided all media related to Super Sunday. 

My plan was to shop the Alameda Antique Fair, but it was rained out. Instead, I opted to spend the day in Palo Alto. I'd been wanting to go to the Museum of American Heritage (MOAH), so I finally made it a point to go. MOAH is housed at The Williams House; a 1907 custom built home by and for Dr. Thomas Williams, who established his medical practice there making him the first to open a doctors office in Palo Alto. The home currently houses five exhibits, one of which is a rotating exhibit of different artifacts. This season's exhibit is the history of television. I'd always thought that television was invented in the 1950s when in fact it came out decades before. TV sets appeared in the American home in the 1940s. The exhibit had several early models on display.

The other, permanent exhibits feature the following: a 1930s kitchen, a 1920s general store, a print shop and a 1920s garage & automobile workshop. I absolutely loved the kitchen. Though I currently own a 1940s WedgeWood stove, I'm considering purchasing a 1920s-30s working stove. (Of course, I have to buy the right house for it, first...yes I'm still on the house hunt.) The refrigerators of that time looked like pieces of furniture more than an appliance. The laundry area was somewhat reminiscent of my grandmother's house. Which reminds me, I have a 1930s electric laundry machine that would make a great addition to my future house.

The house garden is currently in its winter state, but I can only imagine how beautiful it will be come spring. 





After the museum, I decided on lunch at Palo Alto Creamery only to find that it has changed its name. It is now Peninsula Creamery, but at least everything else has remained the same. Good selections and good service. 

And since it was still early enough in the day (which meant the Super Bowl was just getting started), I walked down to my favorite movie house, Stanford Theatre. The current festival is Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life). On the bill was Mr. Deeds Goes to Town  and the pre-code Forbidden with a very young Barbara Stanwyck. Both wonderful films that highlight the ordinary Joe/Jane in extraordinary situations. At times, I was a bit teary eyed because some the themes hit close to home. But that's what makes Capra a cinema genius.



I must say that this was a lovely and enjoyable Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment