Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Palace Hotel

Unlike most of the working world, my full time schedule is a 4-day week. That's right! Three day weekends every weekend. Fridays are usually my days to get errands done; grocery shopping, hair appointments, etc. Once I get home, I just want to unwind. I decided to give my cousin a call since we hadn't hung in nearly a month. Then, my buddy, Burnie, sent me a text about coming over to The Palace Hotel for some swing dancing. On a Friday? There never is a Friday gig unless it was a special show organized by A-Town. Au contraire, says he. The Klipptones play a weekly Friday gig in the hotel's bar and restaurant. Dizzy will be there! Well if Dizzy goes, I'll go since we had an upcoming radio gig to discuss. But I'm in casual attire! He said not to worry. There's no dress code. So I persuaded my cousin to come along and boy are we both glad we went. We had a great time.

There were many swing dancers both familiar and new to me. Unfortunately, I was wearing sneakers which were not ideal for this particular dance floor. I had to either take quick steps to make a turn or, for more swinging tunes, spun in the air so as not to stick to the floor. The Klipptones definitely had a unique musical style. They took more contemporary songs (and New Wave music) and jazzed it up. I kept laughing as I heard the familiar lyrics, I remember that song! 

The hotel itself is absolutely stunning. When I looked into the dining hall I kept thinking of the Titanic. It was that elegant. And here I am in jeans and a Pendleton. The bar is home to the Pied Piper painting which was in the news recently when the bar manager decided to take it down and sell it. It caused an uproar and it was ceremoniously placed back at its mantel. I had one of their signature cocktails to settle into the ambience.

I'm really glad that Burnie persuaded me to come. This is definitely a place to frequent for free swing dancing and great music.





No comments:

Post a Comment