Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Planes! The Planes!

I've been doing quite a bit of field research of the residential areas along the peninsula. I have a wish list of what I'm looking for in a house. Must haves are: garage, back yard (with grass!), lots of natural light, and safe neighborhood. Nice to have: peace and quiet. Cities to avoid: San Francisco, Daly City, and Pacifica; I want sun!

Quiet is not likely to happen. SFO is very centralized along the peninsula. There is no getting away from airport noise. I've canvassed Brisbane, Colma, South City and San Bruno. No matter where you are in either of those cities, there's a plane flying over; even west of 280. So I've accepted the fact that no matter where I settle, it'll be noisy. (Though I would love to live around Half Moon Bay, it is out of my price range.)

So far, I have put offers on three different houses and all to no avail. Although I did get close with one (a counteroffer), ultimately, they all sold to someone else. So I move on to the next house and the next. It amazes me how little homeownership means to the current occupants. Have they no pride? Some of theses houses are in terrible condition.

I found another house this weekend, and it has potential. Let's see how far this goes. And yes, there are planes flying over. It's just part of living on the peninsula.