Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bésame

I made the drive back to Bésame Cosmetics this afternoon, and YES, it was open! I've been purchasing their products for the past two years, but because I live in San Francisco and there is no local distributor, I can only purchase online. I'm always afraid that the colors wouldn't workout (since there's no way to test), but so far, every purchase has been a hit. When I planned my trip back to L.A. this week, visiting the store was on my "must do" list.

My mom came along with me again, and she was impressed with the selection. It is a relatively small store with a back room sectioned off for other events such as workshops and tutorials; it's perhaps even a mini studio for photoshoots. After all, they have great photos of ladies modeling their products. The shop is decorated with their signature artwork found on their website with a beautiful vintage stereo and seating. Their products are well placed at the counter and on the shelving just beyond. 

Christina was the lady at the counter and she was both gracious and helpful. She encouraged us to sample any products we were interested in. I was intent on purchasing the rouge cream, but I wasn't sure which color to buy; apricot or crimson. I fully expected to purchase the crimson shade. I tried them both, and surprisingly, the apricot looked much better on my complexion. I was sold. I also purchased my 5th tube of lipstick. I have one pink shade and darker shades of red. This time I wanted a true red color and purchased Bésame Red. 

Mom opted to purchase a red color as well. She NEVER wears red lipstick. Usually it's more of a brownish color with some hints of red. Christina recommended Red Velvet which looked great on my mom. "I'll take it," she said. There was no stopping mom, either. She also tried and bought the soufflé foundation and violet brightening powder; all of which brought a radiance in her complexion. She walked out of the store with a bright smile.

Mom asked how I learned about Bésame. I've actually known of the company for at least 5 years but didn't buy my first lip color until 2012 at the Vintage Expo. Bésame specializes on recreating colors of the 1920s-60s. The design and packaging also reflects those eras. That's one thing I love about the product. There's no mistaking a Bésame product for an imitation. The bullet shaped gold lipstick tubes; the tin canisters; the chrysanthemum design.

The company is well known not only in the vintage community but also in the entertainment industry. Their make-up is used for films that are set during the bygone era. I know "The Artist" used her products. I also recently saw the new "Bonnie and Clyde" film and recognized some of the products sitting on a vanity in one scene. Of course, the lip colors were also used on the actors. The founder of the company has also published a book on the history of make-up. I didn't see it at the shop (perhaps I may have overlooked it), but I definitely want to give the book a read.

It may be a while before I return (I only go back to SoCal about 2-3 times a year) so the next purchases will most likely be online in the not too distant future.



My Bésame products

Lips:
  • Besame Red
  • Cherry Red
  • Noir Red
  • Merlot
  • Dusty Rose
  • Cherry Lip Balm
  • Cherry Sweetheart Glaze
  • Cocoa/Natural Lipliner

Face:
  • Violet Brightening Powder
  • Apricot Rouge

Eyes:
  • 1930 Black Mascara
  • 1920 Black Cake Mascara

Fragrance:
  • Decades of Fragrance 1920


Makeup Tools:
  • Travel Lip Brush


No comments:

Post a Comment